January 21, 2019
This year’s Marme Monlam beautifully concluded the joyously successful 36th Kagyu Monlam with a special address and loving advice from His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa. His address was followed by four outstanding and powerful performances as well as the uplifting Lamp Prayer and offering of lights.
1. On the evening of the full moon, participants reflect on the the golden Buddha image in anticipation of the special address and heart-advice of His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa.
2. His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa offers a special address generously welcoming everyone and offering his gratitude for the efforts of Goshir Gyaltsap Rinpoche and Kyajbe Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, the other tulkus, khenpos, acharyas, spiritual friends, all the monks and nuns from the various monasteries, and all the faithful lay people from all over the world.
3. From chairs in front of the pavillion, following their kind efforts and teachings, Goshir Gyaltsap Rinpoche and Kyajbe Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche listen to sincere speech of His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa.
4. The nuns take in His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa’s advice.
5. And so do the gelongs from the stage.
6. Faithful lay community also listen on with devotion.
7. A monk gives his full attention to His Holiness Gyalwang Karmapa’s special address.
8. The Marme Monlam events are narrated by the MC’s in Tibetan, English, and Chinese.
9. The world-renowned nuns of Drupde Palmo Chokyi Dingkhang Nunnery in Bhutan sing A Melody of the Three Jewels.
10. The eight umze-s (chant leaders) of the Monlam chant The Meditation on the Great Compassionate One: Benefitting Beings Throughout Space.
11. The nuns from the Drupde Palmo Chokyi Dingkhang Nunnery returned, together with the monks of the Vajra Vidya Institute of Thrangu Monastery, for a rendition of A Joyful Aspiration, a poem composed by the Karmapa.
12. A group of the Nyeshang Sponsors perform a Song of Milarepa.
13. Although physically absent, His Holiness leads the Lamp Offering.
14. Goshir Gyaltsap Rinpoche makes his light offering.
15. As does Kyajbe Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche.
16. A group of joyous monks whole-heartedly join in chanting the Lamp Offering Prayer.
17. And the bliss of the moment spreads throughout the pavillion.
18. A nun makes her offering.
19. The sea of offering lights shimmer and sway to the sound of the offering prayer.
20. And all the participants make the wish that the light of the lamp “dispel all the darkness of ignorance.”